Friday, October 25, 2013

HAPPY HALLOWEEN and Year 12 Dress Up Day - Jack Skellington costume (with apologies to Tim Burton)

I've decided to post a personal creative project for a change.  From the time my son was 3 years old he was intrigued by all things spooky and we embarked on our first papier mache project together, creating a big black spider pinyata for his birthday.  This collaborative tradition continued until he was 8 or 9.  He is now 18 years old and about to embark on his final year exams.  We have collaborated again on his Year 12 Dress Up Day costume, based on the wonderful character of Jack Skellington from Tim Burton's "A Nightmare Before Christmas" (which we watched together many times, from when he was only four).  I've documented the project which might be inspiring to some other parents ...

flour and water make the glue and shiny newspaper strips build the form
Rory drew Jack's face on the balloon and we built the 
papier mache around the eyes mouth and nose
first layer of paper and glue
2nd layer of paper and glue - we did 3 newspaper layers
and then one layer of tissue later
Drawing on the pin-stripes (we bought a pin-striped suit from the 
opportunity shop and he added to the existing stripes with a 
white fabric pen, to give it a sense of the original cartoon character)
Rory drew the bat bow-tie onto stiff cardboard and I
glued black fabric to it (using spray adhesive on both
sides) and then stitched the edges on the sewing machine
the wings and the face were attached/sewn to a dress-up bow tie 
after the newspaper layers were dry we added 'Das'
(commercial papier mache which looks like clay and
drys in the air), to build the 3d form of eyebrows,
nose and teeth - giving expression to the character of Jack
once the Das was dry we put a layer of white tissue paper
over the whole form (to help hold the Das in place)
and then painted it white with acrylic paint
Rory then busted the balloon, drew the black lines on the mouth 
and I added black stocking fabric to the eyes and nose -
I cut the shapes and then used pva glue around the edges
of the fabric and glued them to the inside of the mask
we bought white cotton cleaning gloves from the
supermarket and Rory used black texta to create
the bones of the hands and wrists - looking pretty 
scarey now!!
and here is the finished artwork - happy Halloween!

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Yering Station 2013 Sculpture Exhibition & Awards - opening Sunday 27th October from 2pm

I'm so happy to share with my blogosphere friends that my work 'Let the Jungle In' 2013 is now safely installed at Yering Station - a beautiful winery in the Yarra Valley, just 45 minutes out of Melbourne.
A beautiful historic farm which is now a popular winery and a major sponsor of Heide MoMA events.

 unveiling the 'nest'

 checking the floor

the very brave and chilled out installation
assistant Dean, 5 metres up the ladder
without a care in the world.

 Could not have done it without him!

 'Nest' and 'Heart' of the Jungle installed

 hopefully there will be some air
circulation, as the work is kinetic and
much more interesting when turning

 the room at the opposite end of the
winery restaurant looks into the area where
the huge wine 'kegs' are kept.  It also houses
Yering's array of trophies and the administration offices.

thank you for taking the time to read my
blog and I would love to see you there on
Sunday 27th if you can make it - all welcome
and a beautiful spot for a picnic!

Monday, October 7, 2013

News and views from the studio for Spring...

It's been a busy four months since I took up residence at Caritas Christi (my 2nd studio) in Kew, overlooking Studley Park and the old Wilsmere asylum.  In that time I've almost finished three new works and begun another.  I've also started a collaboration with my friend and glass artist Philip Stokes.

Here are some photos of recent goings on ....

I've finished and mounted 'John & George' - a male King parrot first painted in 1789 by John Hunter

I've put the final touches on 'Let the Jungle In' which will be installed at Yering Station Winery
tomorrow (9th October until early December 2013)

I've almosted completed my reinterpretation of a Sturt's desert pea, first painted in late 1800's 
by Marrianne Collinson Campbell (but I haven't settled on a name yet)

I've commenced planning a 'Heart Garden' work for the Caritas Christi collection
(very much a work in progress so far)

and last but not least I have embarked on an exciting collaboration with my
friend and glass artist Philip Stokes of Philip Stokes Studio Glass in Gwynne St, Cremorne

 the two small 'nests' awaiting their glass 'pods'

Phil swinging the first precision blown 'pod' - to
elongate the form (with partner Scott in the background)

Phil turning the glass 'pod'... stay tuned for more details
on how the pods progress...