Thursday, June 18, 2015

Spring Inspiration in Winter

I am in love…. with this painting of the Roman Goddess of Spring, flowers and fertility, "Flora-Meretrix", by Giuseppe Arcimboldo (1526-1593).  This is the more sensual version of his Flora paintings and I love the way he softened the flowers to create a sense of flesh (almost as if she were wearing a lacey body stocking) and in contrast, he gave the other flowers, which create her hair and garment, a sense of hyper-reality.  What a challenge it would be to reinterpret even a detail of this glorious painting, in reclaimed embroidery.

When I was in Paris in 2010 I walked through miles of galleries in the Louvre to see the Arcimboldo paintings, only to learn that they were all on loan to Madrid.  I was quite disappointed.  

This particular painting has always been held in private collections and has only been exhibited to the public once in four hundred years - in Vienna in 2014.  What I wouldn't have given to have seen her in the flesh!

(http://musea.today/2014/10/20/exhibition-giuseppe-arcimboldo-khm-vienna/)








3 comments:

  1. would love to see your interpretation of a section of this marvelous work and hope you will get to see this painting in real life in the not too faraway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you will I hope Mo, I need to do a website 'journal' post on progress to date, I'm working on another piece at the moment, but hope to get to Flora soon! cheers

      Delete
  2. Dear Ms Saxton
    since I am an old guy who has for quit awhile ascribed to the old sage, "when the student is ready the teacher will appear", I am now rejuvenated soulfully in pursuit of the knowledge you impart by your generous sharing metaphorically of the beauty and passion of life. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete